Saturday, May 18, 2013

I Could Hardly Watch

It has been a year since that terrible time when my press broke down. A broken etching press is a difficult thing to get advice about. I asked many people who work with etching presses, engineers, commercial press people, machinists all because the company that made my press no longer exists (sadly).  Finally I took up my friend's offer to let her cousin Kory have a look at it. Kory showed up to my third floor studio on a very hot day after a long day of work. He had a look at my press, saw the problem, took it apart (this was the part I could hardly watch) and took the bottom roller with the snapped peg away to be rebuilt. I was a bit nervous about what was going to happen to my press, while I worked around the pile of pieces sitting on my studio floor. A week later my new friend Kory showed up with a new peg firmly attached to my roller and put it all back together again. Amazing!
So, the short story is that machinists and millwrights are the people who know how to fix these things in a quick and comprehensive way. I appreciate that he could immediately see what the problem was and how to make it right.  After getting to know my machine,  he mentioned that it wouldn't be too hard to make one... hmmm. 
Yay, Kory!! Thank you so much, you are so wonderful!


Kory just getting everything loosened so it can be broken down into pieces

Chris watching Kory and staying close by for when one machine would become a few very heavy parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment