Monday, February 1, 2016

Beauty is Embarrassing

I have been enjoying the Jealous Curator blog and books for some time and recently discovered her podcast (Art For Your Ear), which I can download and listen to in the studio where I do not have internet. The other day I listened to her interview with artist Wayne White, and though she does gush a lot, I was intrigued to watch the documentary about him titled, Beauty is Embarrassing. We really enjoyed it! You can watch it here through the website for a small fee to rent or buy. We rented it for 3 days for $1.99 but now I wish we just bought it for $4.99. Can still do that.



Wayne White is a very talented man who has worked in a variety of artistic jobs, on Pee-wee's Playhouse, as a cartoonist, puppeteer, animator and painter. He won awards for his music video for Smashing Pumpkin's 'Tonight, Tonight'. Todd Oldham helped create a book about his recent paintings, which is where I first heard about him. In the documentary, Wayne talks about humour in art and how crucial humour is to him and how it is often not taken seriously in the art world. I think that his humorous paintings are such a success,  it shouldn't really matter if the art world doesn't take you seriously if you have an audience who really appreciates what you are doing.
Anyhow, very enjoyable documentary and entertaining artist. I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment