Friday, February 6, 2015

Dorothy Caldwell and more at Cambridge Galleries

Last week Chris and I ventured out to Cambridge to see a show of some of the collected textile works titled Select Works at Idea Exchange/ Design at Riverside in Cambridge. Lots of wonderful pieces from the permanent collection, curated by director Mary Misner. You can find information about the show on their website here. The show runs until February 22nd 2015.


Here are a few of the works in the show. I forgot to charge my camera and had to use my old phone...so only took a couple photos. These are just meant to be teasers so that you will go see the actual work in person. Always better.







This knitted piece above is titled, Camus by Janet Morton
Very appropriate for right now, the words on the sweater read: In the midst of Winter, I finally learned that within me resides an invincible Summer


I loved these gloves with thorns. Beautiful and horrible. Titled, Thin Skin by Arlene Turkington. Better images here.


After we left Design at Riverside, we ventured in to the square and saw that the main gallery at Queen's Square looked open as well. We crossed the square to have a look. A show of work by Dorothy Caldwell, titled Silent Ice/ Deep Patience - yay! I had just discovered that I wanted to see more of her work from the group show earlier. I am definitely a fan now. Her beautiful textile works and collected arrangements of plant pieces and book works were so sensitive and rich. I loved everything. Wow. This show is up until March 1st, 2015.




How Do We Know When It Is Night? 
I think that the pattern on this quilted piece is all hand printed.






No comments:

Post a Comment