Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Print Exchange

Late last year, feeling a lot better after a long drawn out illness but quite a bit out of the loop with my work, the print world and mostly my studio practice, I applied to lots of different calls for entry. I did get some rejections (mostly) and some acceptances.  My rule of thumb (I think I heard this from a presenter at a Canada Council grant workshop a long time ago) is to send out 10 applications and you will possibly get 1 good news letter back.  I find this mostly true, the numbers go up and down but 1 positive is a good start. The practice you get from sending out so many proposals and applications will help you be prepared for those super last minute calls for entry that might come your way.  My proposal to the Rotunda Gallery at Kitchener City Hall was successful, so I have a series of etchings to set to work on for October. During that time, a few other interesting opportunities presented themselves. Some smaller projects that I could complete in between working on my Rotunda show. The first one was with Buy Some Damn Art! which runs for 6 weeks online and will be done on April 30th. Another opportunity was a call for entry that I found on the Art House Co-op website for a Print Exchange with the theme 'The Drive Home...' which I was instantly excited about.  The visual was immediately clear in my mind.  There are 500 artists (international) registered to send 12 prints from their edition to the Brooklyn Art Library  where 1 will be archived in the collection there, 1 will be exhibited with all the prints entered at an exhibition space in New York. The remaining 10 prints will be distributed to 10 other artists. Each artist will receive 10 prints from different artists. I can't wait to see the work that will be sent to me as well as the complete collection of prints. Hopefully these will be posted online somehow.
This is my print titled, '...from the lake '76' that I sent for the Print Exchange.  I am not sure if you have to be a certain age to understand what is going on here but in my childhood we did not use seat belts and lots of station wagons had rear facing seats.

2 comments:

  1. They look great Tammy! I totally missed the boat on this. By the time I went to sign up it was already full!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian! I can't wait to see what prints I will get back. Will share when they come. You should check some of the other fun projects they have listed. Seems like they are pretty busy with new things all the time.

      Delete