Monday, September 26, 2011

Spark Box Studios

Just home after a refreshing and inspiring two week residency in Prince Edward County at Spark Box Studios.  The studio and residency are run by artists, Chrissy Poitras and Kyle Topping in a beautiful setting just outside of Picton, Ontario.  
I had many plans and ideas on what I wanted to accomplish before I went but was so inspired by the natural beauty that surrounded me in the many different trees on the residency property that I did not actually get to work on any grapevines or orchard works while I was there.  There were numerous trips to a few of the lovely vineyards and orchards in the county and I did take lots of photos and sketched a bit, but those works will have to come later.  The majority of the work that I did while I was there was inspired by all the little bits of wonderful that I found just walking around the property enjoying the views and all the fresh air and sunshine.  Kyle and Chrissy were very welcoming hosts and most helpful with getting me set up and started in the studio.  While I was there I spent some time with fellow printmaker and resident Josh Dannin, a very talented and interesting individual from Philadelphia.
It has been a few years since I had a chance to get away on my own to focus on artwork and I am so glad I did.  The time away allowed me the space to clear my head and to be open and inspired by my surroundings.  Can't wait to get back into my studio and start work on some new projects.
studio

studio books

my cutie room

Josh printing

sunny kitchen dining room

Kyle, Chrissy, Josh and Rico (in front)
At breakfast my first day I realized that everyone had their own laptop computer.  I expressed to my young friend, Grace Black, that I was feeling a bit left out (even though I was offered use of the computers) and she kindly let me use her laptop which she had made for herself this Summer.  As you
can see in the photo below,  Grace's computer is a fantastic one of a kind creation and I was so happy to have had use of it for my visit.  Even though Josh called it 'Canadian facebook' I think it was the envy of everyone there.

I will probably post more images and write a bit more about my stay later, but here are a few shots of the views around Chrissy and Kyle's home.

No comments:

Post a Comment