Thursday, July 28, 2011

Have returned well rested... sort of

Our family had an opportunity to rent my childhood cottage near Bancroft.  At first I was hesitant but was quickly convinced that I had to spend some time up there again as an adult, sharing all the wonderful things that I got to enjoy as a child and teenager.  The weather was perfect, the water was cool and we were surrounded by wonderful old friends and family eating, drinking and staying up late to watch the moon and stars.  One of the things that really brought back all the memories was the walking around barefoot everywhere. The big rocks embedded in the earth, some with patches of moss growing in the cracks and gnarly old roots that you had to watch your toes on when running for hide and seek in the dark.  I don't think I paid any of them much mind when I was young, I just learned them so as not to hurt my feet.  Twenty-five years later, I recognized each one as a familiar part of my childhood and I was comforted to see them still there unchanged.  There may be some new work brewing with these stones... we will see.
It was sad driving home but I know that it is still all there and that many good memories are still alive with all of us.
Odin's photo of Chris and I on the dock


Lots of water lilies everywhere and lots of water colour sketches to work from

No comments:

Post a Comment